How to Prevent Children Gambling Addiction
You can prevent or overcome your child’s gambling addiction with the right app, support institution, or therapy scheme. Use our guide to pick your best options!
1. Use a top UK gambling control app
For the safety of your family, you should probably only use the best UK gambling control apps on the market, tried and tested by professionals.
We personally downloaded the best UK gambling control apps and analysed
- Their legitimacy
- Option packages
- Security of personal data
- Device compatibility
- User reviews
- User interface
See them below!
How can GamBlock help?
GamBlock UK scans any page you request to view on the Internet and assesses whether it offers gambling possibilities.
GamBlock may permit access by employing several complex analysis tools:
- Proxy proof systems enable it to block a gambling proxy website but will allow UK users to perform non-gambling activities to stop addiction;
- Detection of gambling websites that continue to appear on the UK market and to restrict access to them;
- The app does not use a VPN, so changing the settings of your VPN or using one will not affect the functioning of GamBlock;
- The same stands true for DNS (Domain Name Systems) or Tor (onion routing). Their systems make it more difficult for other gambling control apps to trace Internet activities back to the user.
UK problem gamblers will not be able to factory reset their device or use the Reset this PC option to disable GamBlock.
GamBlock can also prevent British users from performing non-browser-based gambling activities online. This means it may restrict phone calls and texts between the user and gambling vendors.
Install GamBlock before the problem starts
Our experience researching gambling habits prompts us to urge British parents to install the app as soon as they notice potential signs of addiction.
The simplest way to do this is by going on the official GamBlock website and follow their instructions for registration.
You will also be able to buy one or more licenses.
What is the purpose of GamBan?
GamBan is specially made to help Brits who struggle with gambling addiction, According to our research.
UK users can rely on the following benefits:
- The app can block out online betting websites, cryptocurrencies, eSports and sports betting platforms;
- Restrict online payments;
- Live technical support.
One advantage is that British users may use the app for free for a week, so parents can test it before installing it on their children’s device(s).
Some legitimate gambling sites, usually operating under Malta Gaming Authority, Gambling Commission of Curacao, or the Government of Gibraltar licenses, are not blocked by GamBan affiliates.
Parents can use this app on both computers and portable devices, such as Android 5.0, iOS 9.0, iPadOS, Windows VistaSP2, MacOS 10.10, and newer variants.
For maximum compatibility with your device, do ensure that you are updated to the latest version.
Once you install GamBan on your device, you cannot uninstall it. This rule helps prevent the relapse of problem gamblers who might be tempted to change their mind about recovering.
How to Create a GamBan Account?
- Join with a social account;
- Create your GamBan account using a functioning e-mail address.
You will then download the app onto your child’s device, log in with your details, and verify your account.
Special Betfilter characteristics
Aside from the usual characteristics of UK gambling-control apps, Betfilter operates on a no ‘keyword blocking” system.
What is a ‘keyword blocking” system?
It is a system that ensures that UK users will not experience over-blocking of non-gambling sites. If you want to search the Internet for “UK gambling addiction solutions,” you will be able to access such content.
Like other top UK gambling control apps, Betfilter will block British and non-British gambling vendors and gambling promotional materials, regardless of changes made in DNS systems.
You must procure a security code from the Betfilter support team before uninstalling the app.
There are no unnecessary messages or app alerts, so your child may use the device at school or share it with others.
Betfilter cannot block all third-party software with built-in browsers, so we recommend that parents remove such gambling apps from their children’s devices.
Most apps on the market are third-party apps (developed by someone other than the device manufacturer). These include browser apps or video game applications (but these are not the only options).
How can you get Betfilter?
Go to the official website, register, select your preferred payment service and license period, and make your purchase.
Then, download the app.
What does Net Nanny offer?
The Family Protection Pass is one of the most complete packages and it includes:
5 to 20 devices
Net Nanny Family Protection Pass is compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, Kindle Fire, and iOS.
Brits can adapt the Internet protection to their family’s needs, manage profiles settings, and check Internet use reports from a single platform.
Access to features
Such as parental control, Internet filtering, screen-time management, alerts and reporting, family feed, location tracking, app blocking, and website blocking.
What is Net Nanny?
The power of this software comes from using artificial intelligence that tracks and scans any URL, online search, or website. Then, it sends instant alerts or blocks harmful content or any websites UK users may want to include.
However, it’s worth noting that Net Nanny is not exclusively created to aid people with a gambling addiction.
UK admin users can disable filters or uninstall the app, failing to prevent a problem gambler from relapsing.
Try the two-week free trial by installing Net Nanny for mobile before committing to this app. This feature is not possible for desktop devices.
How Do I Download Net Nanny?
- Create a Net Nanny account for yourself so that you are the admin in charge of filtering;
- Enter the install.netnanny.com website from there;
- Create an account.
You may access the parent dashboard by getting an iOS/Android Net Nanny parental control app to monitor more than one device.
Bank transaction blocking
To enforce more security for your child, we recommend a series of reputable UK financial institutions that block gambling-related transactions:
- Lloyd Banking Group;
- Starling Bank;
- Royal Bank of Scotland.
The list is not complete or even remotely so, as many more UK banks begin to adhere to this policy.
In many cases, it is noteworthy that British customers can choose this option directly from their online or mobile banking app without affecting other types of transactions.
UK parents should watch out for:
Losing your private information
Some software programmes out there sell private customer data such as messages, e-mails, or browsing history.
Brands like FamilySafe or Sentry sometimes allow software programmes to access private chats in MSN, Yahoo, or other popular services. They do that to sell data to UK businesses who want to adapt their promotional material.
By enabling the remote reporting option on your Net Nanny app, your child’s information is encrypted, and only you may access or give access to it. No personal information is leaked.
Data mining software
Most companies use data mining software to adapt their services to the preferences and patterns of their customers.
URL-based internet control apps can access your Internet browsing history without permission and use it to expand their website selection.
This should not be the case with professionally vetted UK gambling control apps.
UK gambling control apps collaborate with reputable, responsible gambling British institutions. They will gather their data based on dynamic contextual analysis and protect your information.
Some online gambling platforms do not adhere to responsible gambling schemes.
These can be dangerous because of the proxy websites that may go unrecognised by self-exclusion apps. However, this is not always the case.
GAMSTOP makes the difference!
We made sure to explain how it works, what benefits you get when opting for it, and when you should maintain your vigilance.
2. Seek professional support
Reach out to one of the top UK institutions that our team has personally researched, tested and contacted to verify the quality of service:
|Institution||How to reach out|
· Freephone no.: 08088020133
· 24/7 live chat
· Next Generation Text Service
· For emergencies, contact their partners
|UK Addiction Treatment Centers|| |
· Telephone no.: 08082502546
· Free call back option
· Text “Help” to 66777
· E-mail: email@example.com
· Mail address: UK Addiction Treatment Ltd, Unit 1, Floor 1 Imperial Place, Maxwell Road, Borehamwood, WD6 1JN
|Gamblers Anonymous|| |
· National telephone line: 03300940322
· North-East phone no.: 07771427 429
· North-West phone no.: 07974668999
· Ulster: (028)71351329
· E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Mailing address: The Wellness Centre, 45 Montrose Avenue, Intake, Doncaster, DN2 6PL
These top three names are the most sought-after United Kingdom institutions that aid with problem gambling with help centres all over the country. We made sure to investigate and highlight essential details to help you decide which ones are right for your situation.
Below, we tell you what to expect from our top three responsible gambling companies to help keep children safe.
The GamCare all-inclusive UK package
For over 20 years, GamCare has helped UK problem gamblers and their families through:
- Preemptive measures
We have grouped the basics in 3 tables for your convenience
|Risk reduction in the last 3 years||The plan for risk reduction strategies until 2022|
1,000+ attendees of Identification and Brief Advice course, 2,000 young people helped through the Youth Outreach Programme,
20,000+ hits on the GamCare Online Self-Assessment Tool
5,000+ professionals trained for Identification and Brief Advice across the UK, 6,000 more young people helped through Youth Outreach Programme, Youth Outreach Programme available in three new regions
|Safer gambling in the last 3 years||The plan for safer gambling strategies until 2022|
|35 new UK gambling operators received certification, 44 new UK operators and 2,000 new attendees trained for Social Responsibility and Interaction||40 new UK gambling operators will receive certification, 100 UK gambling operators and 4,000 new attendees trained for Social Responsibility and Interaction.|
|Problem gambling in the last 3 years||The plan to eliminate problem gambling (2022)|
|80,000+ problem gamblers helped, 20,000+ counselling interventions delivered, 5,000,000+ users helped online, 1,250+ chatroom hours.|| |
Triple the number of problem gamblers helped via the National Gambling HelpLine, Triple the number of UK customers interventions, Ensure at least 70% of customers complete treatment plans;
Gamblers Anonymous: focused and spiritual
Gamblers Anonymous provides private and holistic recovery programmes based on a series of principles like:
- Creating a support community;
- Always reaching out to others;
- Owning up to specific personal changes in general behaviour;
- Adopting particular spiritual principles to aid recovery.
Gamblers Anonymous advertises two primary therapy schemes.
The Unity Programme
How to become a member?
Membership is entirely free and obtained only through the desire to overcome a gambling addiction or support a member of your family who is a problem gambler.
Is there anonymity?
Each group retains its autonomy except for instances where other groups or the UK organisation are affected.
Anonymity must be guaranteed at all times and specially protected from mass media.
The Programme of Recovery
The UK Gamblers Anonymous Recovery Programme suggests 12 general guidelines. We carefully studied and selected the most impactful ones:
- Admitting to the problem;
- Discovering faith in a higher power (of each bettor’s understanding);
- Making a personal moral and financial inventory;
- Recognise the issues to the group;
- Making a sustained effort (adapted to each bettor’s conditions) to change lifestyle.
Who Can Reach Out to UK Addiction Treatment Centres?
UK Addiction Treatment Centres (UKAT) are designed for Brits that suffer from all types of addictions, from substances to gambling and more.
UKAT centres are the top most well-equipped UK help solutions.
Regarding gambling compulsion, their therapy professionals support British children and their families. They do that by using effective strategies and multiple types of therapy like person-centred, motivational, or trauma therapy.
Should your child relapse to gambling within one month (30 days) of completing the 90-day inpatient UKAT treatment, you will receive a free 30-day additional treatment.
3. Provide emotional support
Steady and healthy emotional bonding can shield children from developing a gambling compulsion.
Preemptive: observe behaviour changes
Observing compulsive gambling behaviour warning signs on time prevents the addiction from setting in.
Signs you might want to spot early on:
- Games, or online gaming sites, are all they talk about;
- Disruption in diet and sleep routine;
- Sudden mood changes, loneliness, isolation.
Statistics tell us that 1 in 25 school pupils is at risk of developing a gambling compulsion (on average).
There can be obvious signs that your child is a problem gambler. We have combined our expertise and professional research to provide our UK readers with the right tools to spot them.
Prep yourself for an open talk
An uncurbed reaction may also prevent children from opening up and make their recovery much more difficult.
Become conscious and in control of your struggles
To this effect, experts advise you to make a mental list (or an actual one) with what you can control about your attitude.
Keeping in check your attitude will help you think clearly, which is vital to adequately assess and address the issue.
Catastrophic thinking and over-generalising will distort your perception and do very little to provide solutions.
After you assess the situation, stay tuned to reality by getting informed. There is an abundance of solutions to help fight a gambling compulsion. Our guide is specially designed to help you find the strategy that best suits your personal needs.
Identify your internal and external resources!
This brings about a sense of security and prepares you to listen to your child calmly.
Have a compassionate conversation
No matter how much you prepare beforehand, addressing the topic of addiction will be challenging.
CasinoAlpha suggestions to have a thoughtful conversation
- Pick the right time and an appropriate place, so you both feel secure and have no distractions around;
- Genuinely listen. Should you criticise, blame, shame, or lecture them, it will not help the situation.
- Make an authentic connection. Empathise wherever you can, so that your child feels understood.
- Consciously exercise patience. Children might not open up too fast, or they might get emotional.
- Be mindful of body language and your tone of voice.
Life-style changes & emotional openness
A balanced lifestyle and a great relationship between you and your child are some of the best, most useful preemptive measures.
Playing is time spent together
Some experts recommend playing with your child instead of radically denying them game time.
You can also schedule activities that help them digitally detox and maintain together a screen-time limit or set a card limit to minimise their ability to spend money on gambling.
Stay in tune with your child, keep having compassionate conversations, and open up to them in return. Chances are, they will not need to escape in a game.
4. Stay on top of the numbers: UKGC annual report
Last years’ UKGC annual account of UK gambling activity showed precisely how involved the British population is in the gambling industry:
The National Lottery registered almost 24.7 million Brits who played in 2019, which is nearly a 1% increase since December 2018.
Out of these, 11 million bets on online games and other online forms of gambling, while 50% bet on their mobile devices.
Gambling addiction numbers in the UK
- almost 340,000 Brits are confirmed compulsive gamblers;
- 550,000 British players present a moderate risk of developing a gambling addiction.
Data from the UK population practising gambling in the last year.
Gambling percentages in the UK youth population
- Youth who gambled in the last year: 37%;
- Youth who gambled while supervised by a guardian: 50%;
- Risk gamblers: 2.7%;
- Problem gamblers: 1.9%;
- Youth were influenced to gamble after witnessing promotional gambling materials: 7% out of 58% admitted to being exposed to such adverts.
According to a UKGC 2020 study involving 1,645 school children between the ages of 11 and 16 in England and Scotland.
Measures of prevention
- The UKGC implemented a gambling ban on credit cards and strengthened online age and identity restrictions in light of recently discovered numbers.
- The launch of the National Strategy to Reduce Gambling Harms in 2019, a complex three-year plan to increase gamblers’ protection.
As a result of this strategy, national NHS gambling clinics began to develop.
The UKGC did not find any evidence of growth in illegal forms of gambling, online or in betting shops, during the Covid-19 pandemic lockdown.
Keep calm: essential takeaways on compulsion prevention
The best prevention is information.
Top Internet control software now partners with many problem gambling support organisations to provide fool-proof services and products protecting your child’s mental health.
Therapy is always at hand
This includes support groups and recovery programmes.
The number one prerequisite is to inform yourself from reliable sources, which is why we sourced and curated all information to guide you with clear steps towards improving your child’s protection or accessing gambling addiction treatment schemes.
Hopeful news for British parents
Powerful regulatory bodies such as the UKGC are truly taking steps to protect vulnerable consumers, support problem gamblers, and help reduce the risk of gambling addiction.
- Gamban vs. NetNanny: Comparison – Galway Daily
- Watch Out, Some Parental Control Products Sell Your Private Info – Net Nanny
- Talk to us now – GamCare
- Gamblers Anonymous England, Wales and Ulster
- About Us – UK Addiction Treatment Centres – ukat.co.uk
- Identifying Your Child’s Gambling Problem – New York Council on Problem Gambling
- Is your child addicted to gambling? – Daily Mail Online
- Dealing with Personal Stress and Change – Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – The University of Texas at Austin
- Five Ways to Nurture Compassion in Kids – KQED
- Advice to prevent gaming addiction in young children – Internet Matters
- Friends and Family – Gambling Therapy
- UK Gambling Commission